Tuesday, March 19, 2013

First Time for Everything

Does this look like the face of a girl who had to go to time out at school?!!?!!

 photo IMG_0660_zps7c812e17.jpg 

That's right. Avery Claire had to go to time out at school yesterday for the first time. Her teacher didn't see it happen, but a teacher from another class saw her hit another boy from her class in the gym and put her in time out.

Dusty picked her up today and the first thing she said to him was "I didn't have to go to time out today." When I got home, the first thing she said to me was "I hadda go to time out today" in the most embarrassed little voice. She was so sad to have to tell us. And she was so sad she didn't get her sticker today for not having to go to time out.

Now, the teacher in me absolutely agrees 110%. If she hit the other kid, then she deserved the punishment.

However, the mama in me wanted to know every detail. Did you hit him first? Why did you do it? What did Mrs. Misty say? Did you tell him you were sorry? I even heard myself say to Dusty, "I'm sure they play like that all of the time." Dusty kidded me about justifying her behavior. I promise, I'm not.

I do not want to be the mom who thinks her kid does no wrong. Trust me, I see the fits she pitches at home. I love her to death and think she's absolutely precious, but a little part of me is surprised when her teachers tell me they never have to get on to her. And I'd never be of those moms to question the teacher - I've been on the other side of that and I don't think it's fair to question. I was just surprised at how quickly and ferociously my mama defenses came to the surface.

We had a long talk about how we don't hit our friends {even if we're playing} and how we aren't going to do it again. I think the shame of having to tell us and the disappointment over not getting her sticker will hang around in her little brain for awhile, at least. And for the record, the other kid hit back and had to go to time out, too. In case that makes you feel better...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

For some reason, I skipped this blog post! Avery Claire, you would not even look at me when your mommy and daddy told me about your first ever (and I feel your only ever) time out visit at school! You were so embarrassed and did not want to talk about it! I asked you if you apologized and you shook your head "yes." We did not talk about it again. We continued playing school (and taking Elvie or myself to time out!) I love being either your "helper" or your "student" at pretend school! Love you sweet girl! Nana

Post a Comment