Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Operation Rid Paci: Baby Steps

A few weeks ago, I had just about decided that we were getting rid of the paci during the week of Thanksgiving. I have the whole week off, so I thought we'd start this weekend and by the time we travel for the holiday, I thought we might be paci free. As the time got nearer, I was really doubting that decision.

Avery Claire has gotten more attached than ever and had started asking for her paci. She knew she could find some in her bed and sometimes on the counter or in the dishwasher. And she'd go lookin' for one.

Nana came to visit this weekend. We were so glad she decided to come and enjoyed her visit. Mommy & Daddy even got to have a date night!
Photobucket

A few days ago, Avery Claire said she would give her pacis to Win. So, we kind of jokingly told Avery Claire we were sending her pacis with Nana so she could take them to him. We put them all in a yellow gift bag and pretended to put them in Nana's car. Avery Claire forgot about them.
Photobucket

Nana left and it was naptime. Dusty and I decided we'd lay her down and see what happened, but that we weren't going to let her scream for it. She laid down for a minute and then stood up and whined. She cried a little, but not nearly as hard or as loud as I thought she would. And the whole time I was thinking, "I'm not ready to give up the paci!!" And I surely didn't think Sunday afternoon was the time to start! So, we gave her one paci to nap with.

When she woke up, I took her paci and put it in a little zipper bag and told her she could have it again when it was time to go night-night. She went back one time late Sunday afternoon and wanted the bag and cried for it. We were firm and told her she could only have it at night-night time. And that was the end of it. Really. I have been shocked. That night, she laid down with one paci and had a hard time going to sleep. So I gaver her two more - she needs one in each hand {we'll cross that bridge when we get there, right?} We asked daycare to try to help us out and only let her have it at naptime there. So far, so good.
Cheeeeese!!
Photobucket
Muuuuwaaaah
Photobucket
Cheeeeeeeeese, again!
Photobucket
And I have to say, she has been in a much better mood...much less whiny! And that was my worry - that we would have nothing to "pacify" her. She is talking even more. And when I give her paci to her at bedtime, she just snuggles for a few minutes before laying down. If you know my girl, she is not much of a snuggler. So, overall, our first baby step in Operation Rid Paci has been a success....so far! We'll work on getting rid of the paci entirely at a later date.

Snacking with Daddy
Photobucket
Just so you know, we will still be relying on that paci during our 3 hour trip home for Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved my visit with you all! I am so thankful that Avery Claire has such a happy home! She is such a sweet and happy little girl and I love every minute I get to be with her. We are looking so forward to all our time together during the holidays! Love to you all, Nana

Elena said...

I feel the same about the paci. When I am searching high and low for one I swear we are getting rid of it, but then she looks so sweet and babyish with it and I back out. But we will be ridding ourselves of it soon too. I was thinking about punching hole in it, then cutting the tip off etc... Maybe all of that isn't necessary?? Good luck and I need to know exactly what works and doesn't!

Post a Comment