Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Got Milk {and a strong-willed child}

Avery Claire made the transition over the past couple of weeks from formula to whole milk. She did this easily and loves real milk.

Now that we've maybe (fingers crossed) got constipation issues resolved somewhat, we're working on getting rid of the bottle. We just started yesterday, and she's doing really great, I think. Yesterday, she had a small bottle before naptime and one before bed. Tonight, she had one before bed, but made it all day without one. And I'll be honest, I'm in no hurry to get rid of that "before bed" bottle!

Here she is looking like such a big girl after her waffle breakfast yesterday. Photobucket And here she is with her "before nap" bottle yesterday. I had to get a picture...just in case she gives them up easily! And yes, there's a paci in the background there. Don't ask when we're going to try to give that up. At this point, I do not care. Photobucket

We are loving our spring break and wish it would slow down!! Avery Claire has taken a few morning naps this week. Today, she even let me rock her to sleep. Then I laid her in my bed, laid beside her, and read my book. Don't think I didn't enjoy every single second of that!! I think she's a little irritable from her shots and she's been staying up late and getting really off schedule. She was in bed tonight at 8:45 and out like a light!! Photobucket

I think there are so many advantages of being a strong-willed person. I want my child to know what she wants and do what she has to to get it. I want her to stick up for herself and those she loves. I'm stubborn. Dusty's stubborn. She didn't have a prayer in that department. But we want to raise our strong-willed child appropriately...you know, not stifling her, encouraging her independence while at the same time teaching her patience and empathy. We don't want to leave a room/place and every one sigh and say, "Wow, they have no control!" Here's her "I can do it by myself/I want that right now/I don't want to do that right now" look. I've heard that the "Terrible Two's" really starts before two. Will someone please tell me that this stubborn streak will get better when she's better able to use words?!! She is so happy and pleasant...until she doesn't get her way. A lot of the time, she can be distracted, which is what books tell you to do in the way of discipline right now. And we get stern with her and will pop her hand. We're trying to be consistent and use distraction and make sure we give her the words she needs repeatedly. We just try to laugh...what else can you do? Photobucket

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Avery Claire, you are growing up so very fast! I can hardly believe it is time to think about "no more bottles!" But as always, you are doing great! You are such a big girl! I can't wait until you start talking! Nana wants to know what you are thinking and jabbing about! I love you sweetie! Nana

Rosie said...

Oh man! That face. HA HA! I think terrible twos start early also! Sounds like you and I have the same views on parenting. But it's so hard at this age to discipline.

Yay for real milk! I started Gavin a couple weeks ago doing a little bit with his formula, and his daycare did a whole cup of it. Ever since then, he's taken to it. Unfortunately, it's made his constipation worse. Hopefully, it won't make her's worse.

Brandi said...

Ooooooo....look at Miss Priss with that attitude! She does, however, look so comfy in bed!

Post a Comment