Thursday, November 18, 2010

Blogging Tips from a non-Professional

A couple of my friends have started blogs lately. I'm so excited that they're doing it, but I feel sad that they're asking me for advice...I am certainly not the expert. But I thought I'd answer some of their questions to the best of my ability, and if you can help them, leave a comment (please!).

The biggie: How do you have time to blog?

I don't....but I really enjoy doing it. I guess it's sort of become my hobby? And we live hours away from our family and lots of close friends. I want them to see Avery Claire on an (almost) daily basis. Even people that we see all of the time look at our blog. And I love for someone to tell me that they've looked at it - it makes it more fun to do when you know people enjoy looking!
The main reason I make time is because I'm not a dedicated scrapbooker. This is Avery Claire's scrapbook. I can record everything that we do and she can always go back and look at the blog. I look at the blog all of the time to update her baby book because I've forgotten something.

How do you do your header?

http://www.scrapblog.com/
This site has lots of free backgrounds and stickers. And if sign up for email, they will notify you when they have a "free day." Lots of things will be free on that day - I just recently stocked up and can't wait to sit down and make a new header. All you do is create your "scrapblog," save it as a jpeg, and upload into your blog header.

How can you change your background?

I have a solid background, but you can go here or here and get lots of cute, free backgrounds.

How do you upload your pictures? Doesn't it take forever?

For about two years, I've uploaded my pictures onto my computer, and then uploaded them onto Photobucket. From there, I copied the html codes into the "edit Html" screen on my blog posts. This is much easier than uploading 5 pics at a time onto blogger (and then having the order all screwed up because you uploaded them backwards!). If you've done this, you know exactly what I'm talking about. By the way, photobucket is free!

How do you make your pictures big?

Again, for a long time I used Photobucket to do this, too. It takes a while to do it this way, but I love for my pictures to be bigger on the blog. So, after you upload your pics to photobucket, click on one of them. Move your mouse over the "resize" option, and choose the 640x480 size. Then just copy the Html codes like I mentioned above. You'll have to click "next" and do the same thing for each picture.
Because I really want to learn to take better pictures and edit them, so for Christmas last year, Dusty bought me Adobe Photoshop. I've finally learned a few things about it, so now I edit my photos and resize them using my Photoshop software. I love it and really hope I can learn even more about it. I'm attempting to take Christmas card pictures myself. We'll see how that goes! (I still upload my pics to Photobucket and copy the Html codes when I blog because it's easier and faster.)

Tip:

You can change the date on any blog post by clicking "post options at the bottom." Lately, it seems that I can only find time once or twice a week to blog. So, I upload all of my pictures and create several blog posts at once. Rather than posting them all on the same day, I change the date to reflect the date they actually occurred.
I always post Avery Claire's monthly updates at 7:18 because that's the time she was born. I'm sure no one else has ever noticed that, but I know it, and that's something that she can look back on one day. So, even if I don't actually get my post finished by that time, I can still "back date" it so it looks like I did!



Because I'm sure you're bored to death, I'll stop. And of course I must throw in a few of pictures of our afternoon.

Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket


Avery Claire is still loving the tree. Maybe we'll eventually get something on it! I think it's going to be her motivation to really get this crawling business figured out. And we think it'll provide hours of entertainment over the holiday season. Dusty and I have been talking about how much fun Christmas is going to be!


Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Avery Claire! I knew that you would love the Christmas lights! Nana, Papa, and Uncle Matt decorated our tree this week! We can't wait for you to see it! Christmas will be so much fun this year! This season will be so special sharing it with you!
See you this afternoon! YEA!!!! We love you so much! Nana

Post a Comment