Saturday, October 25, 2014

Our First Days as a Family of Four


We're home, and we're adjusting well! We came home Tuesday, and I'll be honest, Tuesday afternoon was challenging. Dusty went to practice, but my mom and Cathy were here, so we had plenty of hands. Big sister's behavior gave me quite a scare. She pitched herself a fit {I don't even remember what about} and got in big trouble. This "I just had a baby and I'm kind of emotional" had to fight back tears as I got on to her. We had to go pick up a prescription and she was asleep before we got out of our neighborhood. I was really hoping that her behavior came from just being totatlly exhausted from a crazy few days. 

Baby brother, so far, is very chill. He eats and sleeps. He has a little jaundice - you can tell by his tan, so he's spent some time in front of the windows this week. 

After that first afternoon at home, sister has been so sweet and loving. She kisses Bennett's head no less than 50 times every day. Every time she kisses him, she rubs her lips on the back of his head and tells him how soft he is. 


Bennett got his first bath at home. It took all of us. 




He loved it and was so relaxed afterwards. 




He got some use out of his Halloween costume this week. 


Nana has been with us all week. She left to go home this morning. There may have been some tears shed by me when she left. It was so nice having her here. Thanks, mom, for staying all week and taking care of us. We needed you and appreciate it so much. 



We tried to find places in the house for Bennett to "sun"!


Avery Claire tells him all of the time "this doesn't look like the hospital, does it?" This face looks like he's thinking "where in the world am I and what have I gotten myself into?"


He is pure, sweet, teeny baby perfection, isn't he? 


She asks to hold him several times a day, and I don't tell her no. We stop whatever we're doing so she can hold him. She doesn't sit for long, and he just looks at her the whole time. 


Bennett had to go for a weight check Friday. All breastfed babies have to be checked at 1 week {which falls on a Sunday for us}. He weighed 7 lbs, 4 ounces, which meant he'd gained 2 ounces since Tuesday. {He weighted 7 lbs, 2 ounces when we left. 
We go back a week from next Monday for another check. 


Since Nana was here and Bennett was full, I got to go eat lunch with Avery Claire. She's asked me all year and I've told her when Bennett came, I might be able to. She didn't forget and held me to that!! 






We went for a walk this morning.


Then we had some visitors. I've been awful about taking pictures!! I've got to do better!! 



Then, everyone in the house took a much needed nap!! 






I've been proud of us. I knew a new baby would be a big adjustment for us all. We've gotten used to an independent 4 year old {and a house that was sometimes semi-clean and picked up}. And we've all been used to sleeping all night for a long time. Only one of us gets to do that now! I knew all of that would change, but I think we're making it very well. And Bennett is so absolutely sweet and precious and just fits into our family like he's always been here. Isn't it crazy how that happens? People always say you'll be amazed at how a new baby just fits in and how your mama heart can double the second you hear those baby's first cries. And it's 100%, absolutely true. I'm such a lucky Mama that God blessed me with these two sweet, precious little people.


And I wanted to make sure to document this poll before I took it off of the blog!








1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this family of 4 so very much! I loved being with y'all for a week and I hated to leave y'all so much! I might have shed a tear or two myself. I am so proud of y'all! I thought it was a great first week! Avery Claire has adjusted so well after her mommy got home. I am so proud of her! She loves her little brother and I know that he adores her. It is precious how he just looks at her. Papa and I are sooo proud of our beautiful family! We are so blessed! Our three precious grandbabies are our pride and joy! They are our sweet little angels! We love you all more than you will ever know! Nana

Post a Comment