Friday, February 12, 2010

Name That Bird

This morning, I was standing in the kitchen and noticed a flash of bright red in a tree outside. It belonged to this bird! Have you ever seen one like it? I ran to get the camera because I thought it looked so weird. Maybe it's a common bird around here, but I've never seen one. Just thought someone more knowledgeable than me might know what kind of bird it was.

Photobucket


Photobucket
Dusty asked me if I had become an early morning birdwatcher. I don't think that's really my thing, but I'll definitely be watching for this bird from now on!

10 comments:

Brandi said...

I'm with Dusty on this one! YOU, taking pics of birds? Never saw it coming! LOL!(Although it really is a very pretty bird) Feed it good and maybe it will hang around there. Hope you find out what kind it is.

Anonymous said...

I don't know much about birds, but is it a woodpecker?

Steph said...

I have to agree with Dusty & Brandi on this one...Brooke as a birdwatcher?!?
I think it is a pileated woodpecker. There are usually black, with red crest and with a little bit of white. So that fits the description of your new friend!:)

Anonymous said...

In Clay County we call that a red-headed woodpecker ..I guess that name is good enough for a city girl....

Anonymous said...

ISN'T good enough....

Brandi said...

Bryan said it was a woodpecker, too.

DustyandBrooke said...

So, have I really lived 27 years without having seen a woodpecker?! This morning, I didn't know what kind of bird to google or how to describe it so I could google it! Tonight, when I googled "woodpecker," I found that, of course, this is a type of woodpecker (this is a chubby woodpecker, though)!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodpecker

Anonymous people - you have to sign your name. I don't know who's making fun of me if you don't own up!

Steph said...

Brooke, I think he is making fun of me so it must be Matt!! :)

DustyandBrooke said...

Of all the things to comment on, this is when Uncle decides to comment?!

Anonymous said...

Its me! I know my birds!

Post a Comment