Monday, January 23, 2012

Real Life

We all live in the real world, and we know that things aren't always peachy.

Sometimes kids whine. Tonight was one of those nights at our house. Avery Claire started asking to go "night-night" at 6:00. I finally let her at 7:20ish. She fell asleep for 3 minutes then cried. I let her get up and play for awhile and then go back to bed around 8:00. She cried on and off for 30 minutes before she fell asleep. Please don't think we're awful parents.

It's obvious she was soooo tired!




If you remember, we had to do the Cry It Out method to get her sleep in her bed when she was a wee one. It was the only thing besides me {and only me} bouncing her for 30+ minutes every night. Over the last few weeks, we've gotten into some bad bedtime habits. She asks to "wock" before bed. So we rock for a few minutes, she hands me her paci, and gets up to play. She has probably rocked to sleep 20 times or less in her life. She is not a rocker. She will usually let me hold her in her room and sing to her while she goes to sleep. I love, love doing this. But {horrible mother that I am} know that I shouldn't let this become a habit...I guess because I know how great it is to have a child who will lay down and go to sleep without a lot of fuss. She's had to cry for a few minutes a few times lately before she goes to sleep because she won't go any other way. And it's our fault for letting her stall. It amazes me that stalling before bedtime is an ingrained tactic - no one had to teach her that!

So Mommy and Daddy got tough tonight. She cried for a few minutes. She laid down and stood up and cried a little more. After a few times of this, she went to sleep. So tomorrow night we have to be tough again. And the night after. She's a much happier camper with 10+ hours of sleep under her belt. If there's one thing I've learned from motherhood, it's that consistency is key!

I'm sure all of this interests, well.... not one of you. But I wanted to remember this phase and share the "real" moments, too!

And even though some nights are tough and some involve some whining, it only took one quick
update from Kate McRae's family to put things back into perspective for me. God always reigns me back in and makes me realized how small my problems are...and how very thankful I am for a precious, happy, healthy baby girl!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I seem to remember two sweet babies who liked to "stall" at bedtime! Seems like yesterday! Wow how time flies!
Sweet, tired Avery Claire, you will love watching this video someday!
I love you all, Nana

Elena said...

The way she is acting in the video is exactly how I feel at school this morning and the kids aren't even here yet. And I feel like that because Reese acted the same way this morning while I was getting ready. Ms. Liz is going to earn her money with Reese today.
P.S. Thanks to encouragement from you crying it out was the best thing that ever happened at our house.

Ashley said...

We've been having sleep issues at our house lately too...and Emma is 4! Ahh...the good thing, though, is I have learned "this too shall pass". She stalls and cries and last night she woke Luke up 3 times. I needed to see this post today...it's always nice to be reminded that we (all the mommies) are in this together. :)

Leanne Helums said...

We had to use the cry it out method too, but with Katie Lee it was in the middle of the night. It took about 2 nights and she was good to go. Glad there are others that have to do this too. I think it is the best for mine too because she has always needed her sleep too. Good Luck!!

Post a Comment