Friday, August 8, 2014

The Birthplace of Helen Keller


Yesterday was our last movie day until next summer. I was pretty sad to see it end!

One day last week {I can't remember what brough it up}, I told Avery Claire about Helen Keller and how she couldn't see or hear. I told her about how the house Helen Keller lived in was just a few miles from our house. She, of course, had tons of questions about being blind and deaf and wondered how Helen Keller could eat, walk, etc. She's continued to have questions all week. We've pulled up several youtube videos/clips so she could see Helen Keller and see what her life was like. 

Papa and Nana came for a long weekend visit, so while Daddy and Papa worked Friday {and after my appointment with the endocrinologist - more on that later}, Nana and I took Avery Claire to see Helen Keller's house. Her biggest concern was whether or not they'd saved any of her toys. 

She'd seen the video of her slamming her doll down, so she was so glad to see "the doll" on display. There was a room out in the cottage where she was born that had a doll house and miniature doll furniture, which satisfied Avery Claire! 








We were able to take a "tour" with a couple that was visiting from out of town, so we learned a lot while we were there...which brought about lots of questions! It was pretty amazing to see how many out of town people were there to visit something that we've lived near for years and never been to.












1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a special treat for me! This visit was so much fun! Thanks for inviting me! I love seeing things through our sweet little girl's eyes! I am so thankful that we saw Helen's toys! Avery Claire, we looked at her doll several times! You were so fascinated by her doll and toys! Such a great learning experience for you and so much fun for us! Sending our love to you all! Nana

Post a Comment